You must meet the following minimum criteria in order to apply for your California Contractors License
You must be 18 years of age or older:
- You must have the experience and skills necessary to manage the daily activities of a construction business, including field supervision.
With At least four (4) years of experience:
- You must have at least four (4) years of experience, in the class you are applying for within the last 10 years, to qualify to take the examination. Credit for experience is given only for experience at a journey level or as a foreman, supervising employee, contractor, or owner-builder.
- You may receive a credit of up to three (3) years for technical training, apprenticeship training, or education toward the four (4) years of required experience in the classification for which you are seeking licensure.
- Self Employed or Owner Builder experience is also fully acceptable.
And a valid Social Security or ITIN number:
- The Contractors State License Board (CSLB) currently accepts Individual Taxpayer Identification Numbers from applicants who do not have (SSN) Social Security numbers. (Simply write the ITIN in the application field that requests SSN number).