Do you have four or more years of experience in your trade and wish to become master of your destiny? Do you also have what it takes to run your own business? If so getting your California Contractors License can be the start of a hugely rewarding, future-proof profession.
Anyone who contracts to perform work on a project valued at $500 or more for in combined labor and materials costs must hold a current, valid contractors license from the CSLB. “State Contractors License Board.”
All applicants must meet the following minimum requirements to apply for the California Contractors License
You must be 18 years of age or older:
- And possess the experience and skills necessary to manage the daily activities of a construction business, including field supervision.
With at least four (4) years of experience:
- You must have at least four (4) years of experience, primarily in the class you are applying for, within the last ten years, to qualify to take the examination. Credit is given at the journey level or as a foreman, supervising employee, contractor, or owner-builder.
- You may receive a credit of up to three (3) years for technical training, apprenticeship training, or education toward the four (4) years of required experience in the classification for which you are seeking licensure.
- Self Employed or Owner Builder experience is entirely acceptable.
And possess a valid Social Security or ITIN number:
- The Contractors State License Board (CSLB) currently accepts Individual Taxpayer Identification Numbers from applicants who do not have (SSN) Social Security numbers. (Write the ITIN in the application field that requests SSN).