🛠️CALIFORNIA CONTRACTOR LICENSE
If you have four or more years of experience working in your trade and posess the desire to run your own business. Then becoming a licensed contractor in California may be the start of a hugely rewarding, future-proof profession.
Anyone who contracts to perform work on a construction project in California valued at $500 or more for combined labor and materials costs must hold a current, valid contractor’s license from the CSLB. “State Contractors License Board.” All businesses and individuals who construct or alter or offer to construct or alter, any building, highway, road, parking facility, railroad, excavation, or other structure in California (other than federal projects) are required to be licensed.
📋Applicants must meet the following requirements to apply for a California Contractors License
1️⃣ You must be 18 years of age or older:
- You must also possess the experience and skills necessary to manage the daily activities of a construction business, including field supervision.
2️⃣ Possess at least four (4) years of experience:
- You are required to have at least four (4) years of experience, primarily in the class you are applying for, within the last ten years, to qualify to take the examination. Credit is given at the journey level of experience or as an owner builder, contractor, foreman, or supervising employee.
- Additionally, you may receive a credit of up to three (3) years for technical training, apprenticeship training, or education toward the four (4) years of required experience in the classification for which you are seeking licensure.
- Self-employed or owner-builder experience is entirely acceptable.
3️⃣ Have a valid Social Security or ITIN number:
- Currently, the Contractors State License Board (CSLB) is accepting Individual Taxpayer Identification Numbers from applicants not in possession of a (SSN) Social Security number. (Write the ITIN number in the application field that requests the SSN).