Here is the approximate cost of a contractor’s license – including application fees – contractor exam preparation course – fingerprinting and bonding fees – Initial license fees – and when it must be paid.
CONTRACTOR’S LICENSE COST – (Paid immediately)
- Our Study Program: $199.50 (per exam)
- You must complete both the Trade Exam and the Law, and Business Exam to receive your original contractor’s license.
- You only need the Trade Exam if you are adding a trade to your existing contractor’s license or have already passed the Law and Business Exam.
- You only need the Law, and Business Exam to receive your C-61 (D) Specialty Contractor License.
CONTRACTOR’S CSLB FEES – (Paid immediately)
- Application Fee: $450
- Pay within 1 to 2 weeks after beginning your study course
BACKGROUND CHECK FEES – (Paid approximately 30 days after application submittal)
- Fingerprinting – (Live Scan): $75
FINAL FEES – (Paid in approximately 90 days after you pass your exam)
- Initial License Fee: $200 (PAY AFTER PASSING THE EXAM)
- $25.000 Contractor’s Bond: (VARIABLE,) “Approximately $250 per year with decent credit.”
- Final rate depending on your credit rating.”
NEW: Effective Jan 1, 2023, the CSLB has increased the Contractor’s Bond requirement from $15,000 to $25.000
- Workers Comp Insurance:
- Sole Owners can elect not to be covered by a policy.
- Workers comp insurance is required by law when you have at least one full or part-time employee.
CSLB Services for Veterans
CSLB offers special application assistance for past and present military personnel and their spouses/domestic partners.
This assistance includes
- Expedited application processing;
- Direct contact with CSLB staff;
- Access to licensing staff specially trained to evaluate transferable military training and experience from all branches of the military in an effort to meet minimum licensure requirements; and
- Evaluation of college transcripts to help verify acceptable educational credit (in addition to military training and experience).
To learn more https://www.cslb.ca.gov/Contractors/Applicants/Military/
Take your California Contractor Exam at one of the following PSI Testing Centers.
The Contractors State License Board (CSLB) has transferred the administration of its license examinations to PSI Exams Inc. All CSLB State maintained testing centers have been shut down as of July 2022. CSLB will continue to develop the license examinations internally.
- AGOURA HILLS – AGOURA RD, SUITE 302
- ATASCADERO – 7305 MORRO RD, SUITE 201A
- BAKERSFIELD – 5405 STOCKDALE HIGHWAY, SUITE 206
- CARSON – 17420 S. AVALON BLVD, SUITE 205
- DIAMOND BAR – 21660 EAST COPLEY DR, SUITE 260
- EL MONTE – SANTA FE SPRINGS 10330 PIONEER BOULEVARD, SUITE 285
- FRESNO – 351 E. BARSTOW, SUITE 101
- HAYWARD – 32960 ALVARADO-NILES RD, SUITE 650
- IRVINE – 8 Corporate Park, Suite 200
- LAWNDALE – THE BAYTOWER CORPORATE CENTER SUITE 330 15901 HAWTHORNE BLVD
- REDDING – 2861 CHURN CREEK, UNIT C
- RIVERSIDE – 7888 MISSION GROVE PARKWAY S., SUITE 130
- SACRAMENTO – 8950 CAL CENTER DR, SUITE 158
- SAN DIEGO – 5440 MOREHOUSE DRIVE, SUITE 2300
- SAN FRANCISCO – 150 EXECUTIVE PARK BLVD., STE 2400
- SANTA ROSA – 160 WIKIUP DRIVE, SUITE 105
- SANTA CLARA – 2936 SCOTT BLVD
- VENTURA – 4245 MARKET ST, SUITE 208
- VISALIA – 3400 W MINERAL KING AVE, SUITE D
- WALNUT CREEK – 2175 LENNON LANE, SUITE 203