📆 LICENSING COSTS AS OF JAN 1, 2022.
Here is the approximate cost of a contractor’s license – including application fees – contractor exam preparation course – fingerprinting and bonding fees – Initial license fees – and when it must be paid.
1️⃣ OUR CONTRACTOR’S STUDY COURSE COST (Fee paid to Thompson Learning Co.)
TLC Contractor TRADE EXAM and LAW & BUSINESS EXAM Preparation Program: $448
- Contractor Trade Exam Prep Course Only: .$249
- Law & Business Exam Prep Course Only: ….$199.50*/$249
*Law & Business Exam Prep Course only $199.50 when purchased with the Trade Exam Prep Course
Note: You must pass both the Trade & the Law & Business Exam for your initial contractor’s license.
2️⃣ Application Fee (Fee paid to the CSLB)
- CSLB Application Fee: $450
3️⃣ BACKGROUND CHECK FEES – (Paid about 30 days after application submittal)
LIVE SCAN: (Cost Variable +/- $75 – Fee paid to the Live Scan provider)
Generally, the fees for Live Scan fingerprinting services in California can range from $20 to $50, plus an additional rolling fee that varies by location. It’s advisable to contact your local Live Scan service provider for the most current pricing information.
4️⃣ FINAL FEES
INITIAL LICENCE FEE: (Fee paid to the CSLB) PAY AFTER PASSING THE EXAM
(sole owner) ……………..… $200
(non-sole owner) …….…. $350
$25,0000 CONTRACTOR BOND: (Cost Variable – Fee paid to your insurance provider) “Approximately $250 per year with decent credit.”
The final rate depends on your credit rating.
NEW: Effective Jan 1, 2023, the CSLB has increased the Contractor’s Bond requirement from $15,000 to $ 25,000.
5️⃣ WORKERS COMP INSURANCE:
- INITIAL LICENCE FEE: (Cost Variable – Fee paid to your insurance provider) PAY AFTER PASSING THE EXAM
- NOTE: Workers Comp Insurance is required by law if you have at least one full or part-time employee. A sole owner may be able to opt out. Click For Workers Compensation Requirements.
🚀 CSLB Services for Veterans
CSLB offers special application assistance for past and present military personnel and their spouses/domestic partners.
This assistance includes
- Expedited application processing;
- Direct contact with CSLB staff;
- Access to licensing staff specially trained to evaluate transferable military training and experience from all branches of the military meet minimum licensure requirements and
- Evaluation of college transcripts to help verify acceptable educational credit (in addition to military training and experience).
To learn more https://www.cslb.ca.gov/Contractors/Applicants/Military/